Tuesday, September 11, 2007

San Francisco: Day Two, August 3



I was warned to go early to ride the cable cars so I did. I took no pictures of the scenery while on the cable car but I did take one of the cable car mechanism that makes the car stop and go.



Well, it just so happened that this particular cable car got stuck when it hit it's turnaround at the wharf. So I opted to walk back along Columbus Avenue and I found Mara's Italian Pasteries where I had a fruit pastry with coffee.



The Pantarei Restaurant on Stockton and Columbus.












This is the Sentinel Building (formerly the Columbus Tower), a gorgeous building on Kearny and Columbus, filled with writers that had at one time included Francis Ford Coppola, who now owns the building and has his office on the penthouse.










For a late lunch I took the 71 Haight-Noriega bus to Haight-Ashbury and fell in love with it's eclectic vibe. I found this fabulous Mexican restaurant called El Balazo that I swear has the best tasting Mexican food I've ever tasted. This is a chicken mole platillo. Huge, huh! The little corn tortillas, hidden in the foil, almost had a sweet taste to them. Totally awesome stuff.

Here's the inside of the colorful El Balazo.



Outside of the restaurant was a dog tethered to a planting fixture on the sidewalk. This fellow would let out an occasional bark whenever he saw his master.








Such a cutie. I'm a sucker for dogs, as long as they're not dressed in clothes.
















View of the restaurant across the street.















Later in the evening I walked up the street from my hotel and ate at a Japanese restaurant called Maru Sushi. How nice it was to eat something so familiar to me. Teriyaki salmon with vegetable tempura.....yummm!

No comments: