Tuesday, September 11, 2007

San Francisco: Day One, August 2

Everyone I spoke to about my trip had either visited or lived in San Francisco. My favorite travel info/review site is Tripadvisor.com which provided some pretty awesome insight to this great city but obtaining first hand perspective from the ones who were eager to share their knowledge I found to be of more value.

Going to San Francisco held a lot of 'firsts' for me, especially my first time being on a subway train.



This is the SFO station for their BART system (BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit). Although I did know that it really cost $5.15 to travel one way to Powell Street I paid $10.00 because I thought I'd get change but, of course, I couldn't figure out how to get it.



After emerging from the Powell station this is what my first view of the city of San Francisco was like. The day may have been overcast but for me it was an impressively gorgeous one. The Gap loomed above me as I stood there in awe.



This is just after leaving Market Street, walking up Powell Street toward my hotel.



After taking the redeye in I was tired and hungry. I stored my luggage at my hotel and headed across the street to have some breakfast at Caffe Espresso. A glass of hot mocha and some eggs benedict.



Being from Hawaii it was nice seeing a restaurant that had Hawaiian food. Never had the chance to eat there since there were so many other places I wanted to try. This was on Kearny Street.



Still on Kearny I crossed over Pine Street in the Financial District.



I seriously don't know why I took this picture but it's of the restroom in Macy's. Maybe because I never saw one so 'glamorously' full of marble.



Later in the day, and after all that walking, I had lunch down on Powell near Market, at a place called Segafredo Zanetti. A fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil and prosciutto sandwich. A little oil and balsamic vinegar on the side, and a glass of wine. Y-u-m-m-y! I'll never escape my favorite foods.



I strolled down to Market and saw these guys playing chess near the Powell BART station. Reminded me of the chess players on Kalakaua Avenue back home.




I felt like walking up Mason Street and thought it was a nice hike. Not good when you're wearing sandals. But curiosity and limited time outruled the physical challenges.




Hotel Huntington looms above.


Looked back to see how far uphill I walked.


Up at the top is the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel, which I later found out is at the top of Nob Hill. So this is what it's like being at the top. At least one of the hills.



Sacramento Street.



I forgot how walking down is much harder than walking up when you're doing it in two inch open toe sandals. Baby steps all the way down.


Another restaurant with a Hawaii touch. This was in Chinatown.


Looking back down on Stockton Street. At this point my feet were achin' so I headed back to the hotel.



A free public toilet at Union Square. You wouldn't want to see what I saw when I opened it.



Walked by Cafe de la Presse on Grant Street. I went back to the hotel and fell asleep while watching CNN and woke up around 1:30 in the morning starving. I didn't eat dinner so I asked the hotel desk person if there was a place to get something to eat. Jack in the Box was a few blocks away so I went there, sleeveless and all, freezing with my hands in my pocket. A black homeless person, bless his heart, came in asking other people in line for money. A pretty young girl gave him some money and he went his way after telling her 'Bless your heart, bless you.' I got my food and walked back to the hotel where, on the way, some other homeless guys were yelling at someone in their hotel room, taunting them 'why don't you come down here and say that, you mother f**ker!'. Time to skidaddle and get back to the safety of my room.





No comments: